· Jas. 1:20 for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.
· Anger is like a volcano
· Eph. 4:31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice.
· Prov. 22:24-25 Do not make friends with a hot-tempered man, do not associate with one easily angered, or you may learn his ways and get yourself ensnared.
· Personal rights
· Rights and responsibilities
· Ephesians 6:2 "Honor your father and mother"--which is the first commandment with a promise—
· Leviticus 19:32 "'Rise in the presence of the aged, show respect for the elderly and revere your God. I am the LORD.
· Ephesians 5:25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her
· Rights and expectations
· Psalms 62:1,5 ... My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from him… Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him.
· Phil. 2:5-8 Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death-- even death on a cross!
1. He yielded His right to wealth
· I Cor. 2:9 However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"—
· Rev. 21:10-11 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a mountain great and high, and showed me the Holy City, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God. It shone with the glory of God, and its brilliance was like that of a very precious jewel, like a jasper, clear as crystal.
2. He yielded His right to a good reputation
· Jn. 1:46 "Nazareth! Can anything good come from there?" Nathanael asked. "Come and see," said Philip.
· His birth
· Lk. 7:39 When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is--that she is a sinner."
3. He yielded His right to be served
· Jn. 13:3,5 Jesus knew that the Father had put all things under his power, and that he had come from God and was returning to God; … After that, he poured water into a basin and began to wash his disciples' feet, drying them with the towel that was wrapped around him.
4. He yielded His right to physical comfort.
· 1:32-33, 35 That evening after sunset the people brought to Jesus all the sick and demon-possessed. The whole town gathered at the door, ... Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed.
5. He yielded His right to make His own decisions
· At 12 years old
· Mt. 26:39 Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will."
Meekness vs. Anger
Meekness is yielding all my personal rights and possessions to God, so He is free to accomplish His will in and through me.
· Controlled strength
· Numbers 12:3 (Now Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth.)
· Matthew 11:28-30 "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
· John 5:30 By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.
· Meekness and yoke
· Deuteronomy 22:10 Do not plow with an ox and a donkey yoked together.
· II Corinthians 6:14 Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
Rights vs. Ownership
Realizing that all I have belongs to God and is to be used to accomplish His purposes.
· Colossians 1:16-17 For by him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or powers or rulers or authorities; all things were created by him and for him. He is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
· I Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
· Job 1:21 and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."
· Ecclesiastes 5:13-15 I have seen a grievous evil under the sun: wealth hoarded to the harm of its owner, or wealth lost through some misfortune, so that when he has a son there is nothing left for him. Naked a man comes from his mother's womb, and as he comes, so he departs. He takes nothing from his labor that he can carry in his hand.
Ownership vs. Anger
· Anger is a warning signal
· Ephesians 4:26 "In your anger do not sin" : Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,
Source of Irritation
· Source of irritation are frustration-producing agents over which you have little or no control.
· Natural and incorrect responses:
1. Defend self
2. Blame other
3. Hold it in
· Correct response
1. Thank God for it
2. Determine if you caused it
3. Develop character through it
· Activities - I Corinthians 10:31 So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God.